I have to believe it when Eat Your Heart out Martha (a great site!) talks about The Cult of Knit after my trip to the bookstore today. While browsing for anything interesting on the crochet shelf (nada), I stumbled upon no less than FIVE books about the “spirituality” of knitting. Wow. The Knitting Sutra? Are you joking? What’s next? Tantric Knitting? (someone’s gonna run with that one, I know it!) Then there’s The Knitting Goddess and Mindfull Knitting, not to mention Soulfull Knitting, Zen and the Art of Knitting and of course, the bestseller: At Knit’s End.

I haven’t read a word of any of these books, so for all I know, they are life-changing. However, I am a little shocked to find them in my favorite HOW-TO section of the bookstore. It makes me wonder what I’d find in the woodworking or home-repair shelf. Maybe something like “Unclogging your Qi: Your drainflow and your inner energyflow.”

And then there are all the articles proclaiming that “knitting is the new yoga.” “The new yoga?” Is that like “the new black?”

So, are knitters really uptight folks who need a special class of self-help books to relax? I don’t think so. I know a lot of committed knitters–they don’t look like seem like they’re in a cult–only as addicted to or obsessed with their craft as any of my crocheting compatriots. Hmm…

But in case you’re feeling left out of the cult–Our Dear Lady Linoleum has discoverd a new moniker for crocheters who want to OWN the 2nd-class status crochet sometimes receives in the eyes of Knitters. In a discussion that occurred surrounding one of her blog posts, a reader let on that she and her husband refer to crochet as Hillbilly Knitting. I love it. Now Mme L. is going to create a webring for Hillbilly Knitting. Stay tuned!

Technorati Tags:

"The Cult of Knit" Is Intervention Required?

6 thoughts on “"The Cult of Knit" Is Intervention Required?

• June 19, 2005 at 7:56 am

LOL, Hillbilly Knitting. I like to knit more lately, than crochet, but I’d never look down on it. It was still the first craft I learned, and my mother taught it to me. Both knitting and crochet have their place in the craft world, and I find it so unfair when knitters look down on crocheters. Both use yarn, I don’t see why they can’t be equal.

• June 20, 2005 at 7:41 am

I LOVE that phrase, Hillbilly knitting. I personally find crocheting so much more relaxing and calming than knitting. Maybe beacuse I suck at knitting and want to throw my needles across the room. I like your blog, btw.

• June 20, 2005 at 10:33 am

See, it is scary huh??? I am proud to be a second-class needleworking citizen. I love to knit but I am such a rebel I won’t knit until it is uncool to knit again…LOL

• June 21, 2005 at 7:03 pm

It’s true–put down those pointy sticks and join the hookin’ counterculture!

• June 29, 2005 at 7:50 am

AMEN! I once went to a specialty yarn shop, and in their bookcase were only a couple of crochet books, and the rest were knitting, and they were only offering knitting classes. The women in there were really snooty too. I have no desire to learn to “k….”, I know it’s slower.
    I LOVE CROCHET!!!

• June 29, 2005 at 9:17 am

awww man that’s not cool =/ both crafts have been labels as things that only dotty old ladies with no money do… it shouldn’t be a seperation, it should be a joining of two cool crafts (tho i can’t knit, ive been trying for a month now =/).

ive had the occasional encounter with a knit-snob, and of course there’s also the dreaded yarn snobs that heckle you for not paying $20 per skein just to make a dishcloth or cat toy, LOL.