I’m not part of Deneen’s webring–but I do like to bring the food talk to this blog from time to time.

We actually had this dinner last night–but it’s become a new family favorite, and since it’s so easy, I thought it would make a good Friday night meal. When I was a kid, a favorite lunch for both my brother and me was grilled cheese with tomato soup. When I stopped eating heavily processed foods, it was a meal I missed. A couple of weeks ago, my friend Hillary told me about the Creamy Tomato Soup from Imagine foods. It’s not condensed and comes in a 32 oz. container, so one box feeds a family of four. We made grilled “cheese” with Vermont Organics Multigrain bread and Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheese (a mix of their cheddar and montery jack varieties). I served the meal with sliced apples, just like my mom used to. It was quick, yummy, and everyone (including my omnivore husband) devoured it.

Oh, a process note–my mom taught me to make grilled cheese by buttering the outside of the bread–I find with the soft breads I use, that’s not necessarily enough fat on the pan itself, so I’ve been putting the grease (Earth Balance Margarine, in my case) on the skillet itself.

(x-posted to comfort kitchen)

Foodie Friday

7 thoughts on “Foodie Friday

• May 4, 2007 at 2:03 pm

I would say the major use of our George Foreman grill is grilled cheese. It’s fast and I don’t add any butter/margarine-like substance to it at all.

If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, their Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup is wonderful with grilled cheese.

• May 4, 2007 at 2:04 pm

helps if I finish typing before hitting enter . . .

• May 4, 2007 at 2:10 pm

I think I might have to try this some time soon. I know my hubby loves grilled cheese and my son loves soup. I love putting cheese in my tomato soup and letting it get all melty mmmmmmm!

• May 4, 2007 at 2:11 pm

I was going to suggest the Trader Joe’s soup also.

• May 4, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I agree on the Foreman- no oil required, and you get fake grill marks. What’s not to love!

• May 7, 2007 at 3:25 am

mmm grilled cheese and tomato soup.

• May 7, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Hi Amy,

How nostalgic to read about the toasted cheese sandwiches and tomatoe soup. Your Mother and I learned how to do this from your Sitto – it’s what we did for lunch when Mother (your Grandmother) was working. Yes, white bread, processed cheese slices and Campbell’s canned tomatoe soup – it was the 1950s you know. Glad to see the family tradition carried on. Hugs & boozies,

Uncle Jack