The move to my new domain has prompted me to finally tell you about another much bigger, real move for our family. First, maybe a bit of background. I don’t talk about family stuff that much on the blog, and I’ve realized that the last time I mentioned my husband James’ work was back in 2006 and only once before that in 2005.

James is a Lieutenant Commander in the Coast Guard. We met when we were both in college: he at the Coast Guard Academy and I at Connecticut College in New London. (He auditioned for the a capella group I was starting, but that’s another story…) Anyway, military life has always meant lots of moving. Since leaving Connecticut in 1994, we’ve lived in Seattle, North Carolina, Seattle again, New Jersey (where James did a 1-year graduate program), and Maryland. Selma, who’s now eight had moved four times by the time she was five. Jay, on the other hand, was five months old when we moved here to Maryland, and he’s known nothing else.

We came to maryland in the summer of 2005 (the same time I started the blog), and we knew that we’d be here for about three years. We’ve loved Takoma Park. We live in an amazing neighborhood full of kids and we’ve made great friends and I’ve found a huge fiber-loving community. But James missed being at sea. He’s a true sailor and although working at Coast Guard headquarters has it’s rewarding challenges, it’s not the same as being on a ship. In January, James was awarded command of the United States Coast Guard Cutter Sycamore, homeported in Cordova, Alaska.

USCGC Sycamore

We were thrilled that he was going to be a ship’s captain again, and certainly in shock about the move to such a remote place. In fact, I was out of town on my way to The Needle Arts Association trade show when we got the news, and we had to do our soul-searching and decision-making over the phone. (The fact that James could convince me to move to Alaska by telephone reminded me how caring, thoughtful, and convincing he really is!)

We’re sad to be leaving Takoma Park, but I’m actually quite a fan of the periodic moving. I love setting up house in a new place, learning about what an area has to offer and experiencing different parts of the country. Cordova, Alaska is going to be different from anywhere else we’ve ever lived. Obviously, there’s the whole Alaskan winter thing, but on top of that, Cordova is not connected to the rest of the world except by plane or ferry–it’s kind of like being on an island. It’s a small fishing town with a large science center built on money collected as a result of the Exxon-Valdez oil spill. The science center means that Cordova has more Phd’s per capita than any other US city.

We won’t be able to visit until we actually move, but we’ve already done a bit of legwork to get settled. We’ve found a lovely-sounding house to rent on a lake that’s walking distance to school and town. I’ve found out there’s a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm in Washington State that makes weekly deliveries of organic produce. And importantly, there’s a yarn store! It’s called the Net Loft, and they don’t have a web site, but I’ve heard from many sources that it’s a great shop. I’m looking forward to getting to know a new LYS.

I’m sure I’ll be talking lots about Alaska and our move in the coming months, but I’ll leave you with a couple of my favorite shots of Cordova:

A virtual move and a physical one…

34 thoughts on “A virtual move and a physical one…

• April 11, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I am with you on enjoying the periodic moving. I loved getting to know a place well, over a 3 year period. All that moving also afforded me the opportunity to throw away stuff!! It’s exciting to plunk oneself down in a new environment with less stuff. It makes you open and ready to acquire new experience !!

• April 11, 2008 at 9:12 am

• April 11, 2008 at 5:33 pm

absolutely gorgeous; and what an adventure! whenever i see a pbs show about alaska, i’m absolutely enchanted. you’ll need to help inform all of us continuguous states people what alaska’s really like!

• April 11, 2008 at 10:33 am

• April 11, 2008 at 12:11 pm

What amazing pictures! We’re going to miss you so much.

You’ll definitely be needing a lot of knitwear and crochet-wear to keep y’all warm!

• April 11, 2008 at 7:11 pm

What amazing pictures! We’re going to miss you so much.

• April 11, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Definitely an adventure and more power to you because quite honestly, I would be a little freaked about moving to Alaska with the winters and stuff.

What is more amazing is that there is a yarn store (a real one, since I have none near me and I am not on an island or anything) and the organic produce delivery, which again, just started for me here and again, not an island or anything.

Best of luck to you all and I am seeing lots of cold weather designs in your future 🙂

• April 11, 2008 at 1:27 pm

• April 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Wow! Very exciting news. It looks like a beautiful place, and so cool that they actually have a yarn store! Best of luck with the move!

• April 11, 2008 at 3:06 pm

• April 12, 2008 at 7:28 am

My parents lived in Fairbanks for a year and have such fun stories about living there. What a wonderful new adventure! I can’t wait to hear about your new surroundings.

• April 12, 2008 at 12:28 am

• April 12, 2008 at 12:27 pm

We lived in Anchorage for 5 years back in the early ’80s. You will find Alaska very fiber friendly. And you will actuallly need to have lots of wool garments. When you have the chance, visit the Musk Ox farm (I believe it may be in Palmer). You will love them! Good luck on your move and you will love Alaska once the culture shock wears off.

• April 12, 2008 at 5:27 am

• April 12, 2008 at 7:03 pm

We are definitely going to miss you…will the 1-800 number transfer to Cordova (minus the 4 hour time difference?). Oh, and do expect visitors. Joshua will certainly need a Selma fix…not to mention the rest of us with all the other fixes.

• April 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

• April 13, 2008 at 8:03 pm

That’s very exciting – congratulations!

• April 13, 2008 at 1:03 pm

That’s very exciting – congratulations!

• April 14, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Alaska! now, that is an adventure! I am excited for you – but I will miss seeing you at local events. Luckily, the internet is a beautiful thing in spanning those long distances.

We moved a lot when I was a kid, and I really miss it. We were on that 3 or 4 year cycle. It was a great education for me, as a child. I have lived in Maryland longer than anywhere else, and I definitely have the itch to move.

I wish you the best with the transition period. I will love reading and seeing your photos from Alaska!

• April 14, 2008 at 7:24 am

• April 14, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I can’t wait to visit! How gorgeous and what a wonderful experience for the kids. Do you think you could pick up some moose mmm-“waste” — for me? More about that later- and, no ,it’s not a spinning thing!

• April 14, 2008 at 11:45 am

• April 15, 2008 at 2:36 pm

You’re so brave. This will be a big change and you “look” so calmed. Congratulations for your strength.

• April 15, 2008 at 7:36 am

• April 15, 2008 at 4:36 pm

It looks incredible! The adventure sounds amazing. I can’t wait to hear about it all!

• April 15, 2008 at 9:36 am

• April 15, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Sweetie, if you think you’ve seen the last of us when you pull away this summer, you are oh so wrong. The van that hauled us to fiber festivals all up and down the East coast can be replaced with a rental van, you know. When you least expect it, the SSK regulars are gonna be knockin’ on that door, snow or no snow!

BTW, I had to type that because otherwise I was going to cry…

• April 15, 2008 at 4:38 pm

BTW, I had to type that because otherwise I was going to cry…

• Pingback: crpovsuk

• Pingback: takoma academy

• Pingback: transfer anchorage

• May 15, 2009 at 7:02 am

those were really mesmerizing photos.. thanks for sharing, it really makes me feel relaxed!

• May 16, 2009 at 7:30 am

Serving in the military warrants constant traveling for the family. True, it could be sad and daunting, but the new and splendid opportunities that it brings forth are priceless. What's even better with your case is that blogging and traveling compliments each other perfectly well. 🙂

• June 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm

That is such a wonderful move. I want to have a trip in that place. Thanks fro posting the photos.