It’s a beautiful, sunny 60 degree day here in Maryland. Jay is sleeping, James is sleeping, Selma and a friend have been riding bikes and now they’re picnicking in the back yard (they requested sliced oranges, hummus and tortilla chips). Sophie, Selma’s guest said, “this is such a great play date!” I think they’re relishing in their new 8-year-old freedom of being basically in control of their free time. The house is quiet and I’m liking my free time too.

I did some laundry and picked up the really awful messes of the past day or so, but when I started on a pile on a couch side-table, I realized, what looked at first like clutter was a project in progress. We have a lot of “active” clutter in the house because its small, we don’t have dedicated room for the kids to do crafts, and although they have a play room they play everywhere.

And looking around, I realized, I didn’t mind this kind of clutter, I actually like it. It’s interesting to see what activities are happening in the house by what little piles are being created. That said, sometimes an “active” pile becomes stagnant–I just spotted the remnants of our Christmas card project. Before I can really put that away, I need to enter new addresses into my address book. But it isn’t an active project any more, it’s stuck.

With our impending move, I’ve had to be a lot more pro-active about sorting. I don’t want to take any unnecessary stuff to Alaska, and I want to have room for stocking up on needed supplies. I’ve already done a pass on all the bedrooms, and the rest of the house is much harder. My mom and I have promised each other that we’d tackle one small de-cluttering task per day on our houses, so today, I’m going to have a go at a problematic kitchen cupboard.

Clutter in Motion

9 thoughts on “Clutter in Motion

• Pingback: Pages tagged "maryland"

• April 12, 2008 at 10:10 pm

I’m in declutter mode too. I’ve been puttering around all day trying to get myself a little more organized! good luck!

• April 12, 2008 at 3:10 pm

• April 13, 2008 at 2:36 am

WOW! Alaska! I don’t even know what to say. I do wish you the best, and hope that you stay in touch.

I love the shawl! It looks great and I was going to ask you about it at YH event. I have a very cute photo of you.

Alaska…..

WOW!

• April 12, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Alaska…..

WOW!

• April 13, 2008 at 4:52 am

How wonderful to be moving to Alaska, only something that could happen in my dreams. Good luck with it all.

My house looks a bit like yours, even with the Christmas card pile that needs entering into my address book!
    I love clutter! Sometimes!

• April 12, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I love clutter! Sometimes!

• April 14, 2008 at 12:56 am

Amy,

You can come and declutter our house anytime…!

Uncle Jack

• April 13, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Amy,

You can come and declutter our house anytime…!

Uncle Jack