On Saturday, we attended the Hamilton College commencement ceremony because it was the last commencement where my dad would be College Marshall–the person who leads the ceremony and directs everyone. (Here he is calling the ceremony to order.) He retires this year.

Calling Commencement to Order

Here he is after the ceremony. Do you think he looks happy to be finished?

Dad in the Gauntlet

He doesn’t look old enough to be retiring! He’s not actually going to stop teaching. As an emeritus professor, he’ll teach one course per semester, but not have any administrative work that goes with a full time job.

My dad is an English professor, and he is a huge influence on my career as a writer. His influence began when he read to me as a little kid–everything from nursery rhymes to Robinson Crusoe. He reviewed and commented on practically everything I wrote through grade school, high-school, and college; he’s taught me more than anyone about how to write.

Anyway, after all of the marching in at the ceremony, once the speeches had started, I pulled out a sock I was crocheting and began to work on it. Selma, who had forgotten the book she was going to read, was watching me intently, and after a few minutes, I handed her the sock. I had tried to teach her to crochet a year or so ago, but she wasn’t interested, so I didn’t push it. This time, however, I didn’t really teach her, I just gave a little non-verbal advice when she got stuck, and it all came naturally–I think the fact that I couldn’t talk (because we were in a ceremony) helped–I probably would have given too much advice and annoyed her. This way, I let her work it out on her own. I also think the smallness of the sock yarn and hook may have been a better fit for her small hands than worsted weight and a big 5mm hook. Here she is continuing her work at the picnic after the ceremony.

Selma's Learning to Crochet

Of course, she has another new fiber love, she learned to spin at Maryland sheep and wool:

She also designed her very own batt on Rebecca’s drum carder:

So it will be interesting to see what keeps her attention.

Today the movers came and took away our express shipment including, (GULP!) all my stitch dictionaries. I’m feeling a little naked without them.

Crocheting in spite of me…

16 thoughts on “Crocheting in spite of me…

• May 28, 2008 at 6:02 pm

How fun for Selma! I love the picture of her petting her batt- Been there.done that!

I can barely stand to hear about your m.o.v.e

• May 28, 2008 at 11:02 am

I can barely stand to hear about your m.o.v.e

• May 28, 2008 at 7:14 pm

He really looks more than happy, lol… Fun pic!

And that little lady looks amazing with “that”, lol… What a blue color!!!! Lovely!

• May 28, 2008 at 12:14 pm

He really looks more than happy, lol… Fun pic!

• May 28, 2008 at 7:21 pm

I love hearing how Selma was hit with the urge to crochet! It must be in her genes.

I’m with Rebecca — let’s not talk about the “m” word…

• May 28, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I’m with Rebecca — let’s not talk about the “m” word…

• Pingback: Marnie, speak! Good girl.

• May 28, 2008 at 8:09 pm

great post.. like mother like daugher… Way to go Selma!!!

• May 28, 2008 at 1:09 pm

great post.. like mother like daugher… Way to go Selma!!!

• May 29, 2008 at 1:28 am

Wow how awesome for your daughter. She looks just so proud of her batt. I think it is wonderful she is picking it up.

Congrats to your dad!!1 You’re right he doesn’t look old enough to retire.

Hugs!!!

• May 28, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Congrats to your dad!!1 You’re right he doesn’t look old enough to retire.

Hugs!!!

• June 1, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Yaay and congrats. Several bloggers have been discussing children crocheting recently. I had always tried worsted weight and big hooks with my girls, but you probably have a good point about the small yarn and hook. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Congrats to a new crocheter :).

• June 1, 2008 at 12:40 pm

• June 5, 2008 at 1:09 am

Selma looks so much older in that picture of her crocheting–like a tween