I love the concept of this scarf that I found via Ravelry. The pattern is in Finnish, but we may be able to guess how it was done, or create our own version. The chains must give it great drape even though it’s worked in worsted weight yarn. Instead of changing colors every two rows, it might be fun to try using a yarn with long color repeats like K1C2 TyDy. It also might be fun to play with the lengths of the chains and the height of the stitches in the solid portions. Lots of great possibilities!

This beautiful version was stitched by Lilia (Ravelry).

Stripes and Chains

13 thoughts on “Stripes and Chains

• June 18, 2008 at 11:31 pm

“pretty.” ( :

• June 19, 2008 at 10:29 am

Hi 🙂
    This scarf is really clever but the pattern is really simple actually :
    you just make one long, really long chain as long as you want your scarf to be. after that, you start another chain, and you decide what size will be the “holes” and the stripes “. For example let’s say : holes : 25 chains, stripes : 10 double crochet.

with the other chain you started and after making it 25 chains (actuelly, this part will be a piece of fringe), you count 25 stitches on the previous long chain and from this point, you make 10 double crochet. then you chain 25, counting 25 stitches on the previous raw, and from this new point you make 10 double crochet. the second raw is attached to the previous one with double crochet from time to time.

you go like this to the end of the first chain and chain 25 at the end, so you have something looking as a really long ladder.

now look at the scarf : it is made with lots of chains, linked toguether with regularly spaced double crochet. every start of a new raw makes one piece of fringe.

(sorry for my bad english ! does this makes sense ?)

(actually on the picture, you can count the stitches to have exactly the same effect than this one : looks like its 15 chains, and 5 double crochet in between.)

• June 19, 2008 at 10:34 am

outch, my english is not so good ! i first thought you were asking how to reproduce this scarf. sorry for the misunderstanding, you probably know well how to do that !

• June 21, 2008 at 7:50 am

Gorgeous! I once made a knitted scarf that reminds me if this one. I think I’ll try the crochet version too!

• June 24, 2008 at 4:11 pm

What a fun take on a drop stitch scarf – very cool!

• November 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Just an FYI, if you ever find a pattern in a different language you can always go to Google translate and copy the text and paste it into the box and it translates it for you. I have found this VERY helpful. this one is to ch 315 and finish off then with a different color ch 15 then 5 sc attaching to the 15th chain on the original chain then ch 15 and repeat to the end with the ch 15 and finish of and repeat with another color!

• December 18, 2012 at 1:00 am

such a lovely scarf! Found you through Pinterest.
    Inez, ineseda.blogspot.com

• December 18, 2012 at 11:47 am

Isn’t it pretty, Inez? I still would like to try making one in a self-striping yarn. I have some kauni that might be just the thing.

• December 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Here’s another FYI, I have the English Google translate on a toolbar button and all you do is click on it and it translates with no copying and pasting!  Very quick!

• November 28, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thanks for the translation. I can’t wait to try it out!

• October 12, 2016 at 5:01 am

yes while this is true sometimes the translation is not in US or UK terms and it is very difficult to understand what stitch is meant