Lost.

One of the things I love about moving is getting lost. When I’m exploring a new area, I love to wander around back roads feeling my way and learning the area. I had thought that it wouldn’t be possible to get lost in Cordova, but it turns out there’s plenty of roads to loose my way on (even though, locals say “out the road,” as if there’s only one, whenever they’re talking about things away from town), and each one seems to offer a better view of mountain or water or rainforest.

Found.

Things in Alaska are expensive, things in Cordova, are about twice that much. In the general store, a bag of potato chips regularly costs $8.99. I was relieved to find a small Salvation Army store on the main street here in town. Yesterday we found an old electric piano there that Selma bought for herself for just a few dollars, and when she was trying out the piano, the cashier said, “are you a Suzuki student?” It turns out she was two about 10 years ago, and her teacher still lives in town, but stopped teaching when she had children. We called the teacher, and she’s going to take Selma on as a student.

Our first day here we got a call from Kristy (flickr), the wife of the Engineering Officer on the ship saying that there was a gathering to plan the upcoming weekend’s Coast Guard Day picnic. It turned out to be an impromptu craft session as well with knitting and crocheting, quilting and one new friend Pam (shown here hand quilting a beautiful stained glass quilt) showed us her handmade paper collection including some made from dryer lint! (We’re all going to start saving ours asap). Kristy is the unofficial photographer of the group, and she took this shot:

Finished.

When I was planning our x-country journey, I fantasized about not having work projects to do, and using the travel time to finish up UFOs. Well, I ended up taking on work instead, but I did get to work on a couple of small projects some washcloths to give as hostess gifts, and a shawl for a friend–this is my Antique Lace Shawl worked in Malabrigo’s new silk and merino yarn.

Returned.

James was due to return with the ship this morning. (The last time we saw him was the morning of June 11th). Last night at about dinner time, I got simultaneous calls from James and the ship’s ombudsman saying that they were coming in tonight instead. The family members of the ship’s crew gathered at a point along the sound to wave to them as they passed by, then we jumped in our cars and drove to the pier to greet them.

Delivered.

Our household goods arrive tomorrow, so I may be buried in boxes and off the computer for a while. I do not like unpacking, so hopefully, I’ll power through and get it over with quickly.

Lost and Found

20 thoughts on “Lost and Found

• August 7, 2008 at 1:48 am

Cheers and tears from the Northern Neck of Virginia, a helluva long way from you guys…love ya, M and B and W

• August 6, 2008 at 6:48 pm

• August 7, 2008 at 4:42 am

I’m so glad you’ve landed safely — all four of you! My GOD how gorgeous is Cordova! I’m so glad you found a crafting group already! I think SSKers will HAVE to find a way to come visit!

You are missed!

• August 7, 2008 at 6:40 am

Wow! What fantastic photos of the ship coming in! You are very blessed to be living in such a beautiful place.

Happy unpacking!

• August 6, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Happy unpacking!

• August 7, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Oh, such sweet photos! i love the last one!
    Best wishes with the unpacking. To me, that is so much easier than the packing up!

Your shawl is amazing! I love the green tones 🙂

• August 7, 2008 at 5:33 am

Oh, such sweet photos! i love the last one!

Your shawl is amazing! I love the green tones 🙂

• August 7, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I completely teared up at the joy in Selma and Jay’s faces. I am so excited that you all are back together again! Hope you guys enjoy getting lost together in your new hometown.

• August 7, 2008 at 8:05 am

• August 7, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I love your shawl! The photo of the boat is just amazing!

I’m so gla you will be getting your boxes tomorrow – I wish you luck unpacking!!

• August 7, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I love your shawl! The photo of the boat is just amazing!

• August 8, 2008 at 1:26 am

Great pics Amy-the shawl is beautiful too. It’s terrific you already found some crafters in the area. Ironically, in today’s paper, they had a big article about how expensive food and other items are in Alaska-gas is $10 and Alaskans feels we should “shut up about $4.00 a gallon gas” and eggs were something like $7 a dozen and people were trying to stock up on food, etc.

I assume you get your food from the PX, but still.

Good luck unpacking!

• August 7, 2008 at 6:26 pm

I assume you get your food from the PX, but still.

Good luck unpacking!

• August 8, 2008 at 11:19 pm

How totally beautiful it is up there. Good luck unpacking!

• August 8, 2008 at 4:19 pm

How totally beautiful it is up there. Good luck unpacking!

• August 13, 2008 at 2:32 pm

What wonderful pictures! It must be terrific to have the family back together!

We are missing you a lot here. I think we’re all ready to come visit you now!

• August 13, 2008 at 7:32 am

What wonderful pictures! It must be terrific to have the family back together!

We are missing you a lot here. I think we’re all ready to come visit you now!

• August 16, 2008 at 2:59 am

Oh what heart wrenching photos, must be good to have him back. Hope the unpacking goes well.

• August 15, 2008 at 7:59 pm