In Cordova, there’s no mail delivery to houses, so we all get our mail at the post office. Yesterday, when I picked up my mail, there was a little key with a number on it in the box and a tag that said: “Return key after using.” I took the key and went to the box indicated and pulled out a package. From Potter Craft:

An early preview copy of my book! Of course, there was no one I knew in the post office, so no one would understand why I was jumping up and down, so I kept my celebration to a minimum. I did run off to The Net Loft, our lovely local yarn store and showed Dotty, the owner, who has done a lot make me feel welcome here, but tonight is Tuesday, and if I were still in Maryland I’d be bringing it to SSK at Adega where many of the amazing hands who made the book possible by stitching the samples will be knitting. I miss you guys!

Yesterday I gathered fireweed again with my friend Shelly as well as clover blossoms to make her recipe for fireweed “Honey.” It’s a sugar syrup flavored with the fragrant blossoms. (We substituted cream of tartar for the Alum in the recipe linked to here, since I didn’t want to use Alum–the it worked great and produced a nice clear syrup).

Of course, we had to try it out, so I made pancakes for dinner (oh, if you use that recipe, you can cut the baking powder in half). It was very yummy–it is thick like honey when cool, but thin enough for a pancake syrup when warm.

On Saturday, we spent the day exploring the Copper River Delta:

We had a nice view of Scott Glacier:

and had lunch al fresco:

We saw moose tracks, coyote tracks and bear tracks, but no actual wildlife. On our way home, look what we saw in the high school parking lot:

It’s Here!

26 thoughts on “It’s Here!

• August 26, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Oh the book looks lovely! At first I thought it wouldn’t be something I would need (darn it!) then I saw the fits 18 inch dolls line towards the bottom. My little girl just got two American Girl Dolls for her b’day and has been asking me to make them so clothes.

Lovely pictures by the way! I’m still jealous about the whole Alaska thing. πŸ™‚

• August 26, 2008 at 1:47 pm

• August 26, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Hole mole, a bear! Maybe he just wanted some fireweed honey πŸ™‚

Congratulations on the book!

• August 26, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Hole mole, a bear! Maybe he just wanted some fireweed honey πŸ™‚

Congratulations on the book!

• August 27, 2008 at 2:08 am

The book looks adorable (the real bear is pretty cute too)! I’m just a little disturbed by the snowpants in August…. stay warm!

• August 26, 2008 at 7:08 pm

• August 27, 2008 at 6:06 am

It was in the 50s that day–the snow suits were more to keep dry than warm–but no one overheated!

• August 26, 2008 at 11:06 pm

• August 27, 2008 at 1:41 pm

It looks like you are havng a Beary good time.

You know, I have lived in fireweed country for years (we have lots around the yard) and I didn’t know you could make this. Obviously my education is lacking. Is the recipe in that cookbook you showed in your previous post or is it your friends recipe?

Congratulations Amy. The book looks wonderful and I know some dolls in need of some good warm knits.

• August 27, 2008 at 6:41 am

It looks like you are havng a Beary good time.

• August 27, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Ooh…I want a copy. I am so excited for you and the book.

I am also disturbed by the snow pants as I am sure your kids are :). But holy c__p! A BEAR!!!???

• August 27, 2008 at 7:21 am

Ooh…I want a copy. I am so excited for you and the book.

• August 27, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Congratulations! I can’t wait for it to get my copy!!!

• August 27, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Well, if you were in Maryland right now, you would be cold still since the temps are in the 70s. But you wouldn’t find a black bear near by. Oh, wait, there was a cub in a tree in Frederick the other day. I can’t wait to see your new book and the shots when winter comes.

• August 27, 2008 at 2:26 pm

• August 27, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I am sooo excited for you to finally have the book that you worked so very hard on last year. Yes, I only wish we were all together to celebrate. Maybe we should do a virtual book signing?

• August 27, 2008 at 4:30 pm

• August 28, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Woohoo! I can’t wait to get a copy myself! I’m doing a happy dance for you!

BTW, the honey looks and sounds yummy!

• August 28, 2008 at 7:10 am

Woohoo! I can’t wait to get a copy myself! I’m doing a happy dance for you!

BTW, the honey looks and sounds yummy!

• August 30, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Congratulations! How fantastic! It looks great!

And thanks for the tip about alum and cream of tartar. Very cool. Think it would work for pickles, too?

Love to the kids.

• August 30, 2008 at 6:39 am

Congratulations! How fantastic! It looks great!

Love to the kids.

• August 30, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Congratulations on the book! I’ll keep my out for it. The pictures are just breathtaking.

• August 30, 2008 at 7:13 am

• September 4, 2008 at 1:28 am

Gee, I just don’t think of black bears being in Alaska. How funny!

Love the photos! And congaratz on the book! I’ll be looking for it on the shelves and will make sure that the annapolis Borders gets a few copies as well!

Shawl?

Genia

• September 3, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Gee, I just don’t think of black bears being in Alaska. How funny!

Shawl?