Selma loves soup, and I find it a great way to sneak in healthy things that kids aren’t always excited about eating like beans and greens. We get a wonderful box of produce each week from a CSA farm in Washington State. The box is heavy on the fruit, which is great, I don’t have to work hard to get the kids to eat everything up. This week, Selma requested beets in the box, and they came with big beautiful greens attached. (So did the carrots, actually, but after a little research, I decided they weren’t worth cooking–anyone feel otherwise?). I didn’t want to waste the beet greens, so I made a bisque to make use of them and to warm us up in what continues to be a very rainy September.

This soup goes well with sourdough toast

The soup turned out to be a big hit (except with Jay–I haven’t convinced him to like soup yet), so I thought I’d share the recipe.

Beans and Greens Bisque

Beet greens, when raw, have a bit of a bitter flavor, but in this soup they seem to add depth and a piquant edge to what would otherwise be a pretty standard bean soup.

2 T olive oil
1 med onion, diced
2 c carrots, sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 T thyme
1 t oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cube veg bullion
4 c water
2 cans white beans, drained
1 big bunch beet greens
1 T brown rice vinegar
salt
pepper

Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add carrots and garlic. Add mushrooms, thyme and oregano. When mushrooms are soft, add bullion and water. Bring to a simmer. Add beet greens and white beans. When the carrots and greens are tender, purée the soup. (I use an immersion blender to avoid pouring hot soup into a food processor). Add vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Soup’s On!

12 thoughts on “Soup’s On!

• September 12, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Sounds great! I have not yet put on our dinner and I think we have all the necessary ingredients for this soup. Glad it is a cool evening here.

• September 12, 2008 at 2:23 pm

• September 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Your soup sounds delicious! I’ll have to try your recipe. I have made soup with carrot greens–just chop them up real fine and saute with onions/garlic before adding stock and other things. I like the taste and I would assume they are good for you since they are green and crunchy.

• September 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm

• September 12, 2008 at 11:24 pm

oh man, that looks good.

my husband doesn’t like beets, but the greens are another matter, but i never know what to make with them. thank you so much for posting this recipe!

• September 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm

oh man, that looks good.

• September 13, 2008 at 1:02 am

We can’t find much to do with our carrot greens either. We get them in our CSA, and after a couple of weeks of taking them home and then throwing them in the yard debris bin, we just tear them off at the pick-up spot and leave them for the farm to take back for their compost. I saw a recipe online for carrot green soup (without the carrots in it) but it didn’t sound interesting enough for me to try..

• September 12, 2008 at 6:02 pm

• September 15, 2008 at 1:16 am

Hi Amy!-

So glad to read you are settled and already entrenched in the community there. We’ve thought of you often and just yesterday Marley expressed concern for Honey. (you know Marley wanted to adopt her, didn’t you? That campaign went on for some time…)
    I’m thinking now about Alaska next year and researching flights and stuff. We should keep in touch so we’re sure to make it happen.
    Also, Marley lost Selma’s card with her website on it- can we get that so M can drop S a line?

Hope to hear from you soon-

Tanya M

• September 14, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Hi Amy!-

Hope to hear from you soon-

Tanya M

• September 15, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I’m contemplating for a moment just what you’d have to be eating to eat locally in your new neck of the woods! Probably enough interesting stuff now, but you’d really have to “put things up” for winter!

I love beet greens — really a lot like chard which is probably my favorite green. Sauteed with olive oil and garlic and then put on a good pizza crust with goat cheese, or the same on pasta with a brothier sauce. Pine nuts and raisins if you’re feeling bold.

• September 15, 2008 at 12:11 pm