Back in May, just before leaving Maryland, I was asked to record some instructional crochet videos for a small startup company called Monkey See that’s making how-to videos and posting them online. The videos are finally up, and although I have a hard time watching myself, you may find some of them useful. A Tangled Skein graciously agreed to be our hosts for the filming; I love the backdrop of all the yarn. Emily came along and was a big help with setting up and crocheting little “step out” pieces.

Here’s the Introduction:

There are videos on:

Crocheting a chainless foundation

Crocheting linked stitches

Crocheting ribbing and attaching single crocheted ribbing (great for folks who are making the Sombrero tea cozy).

Making post stitch ribbing

Crocheting crossed stitches in my favorite method.

Crocheting V Stitches

And three clips on crocheting in the round:

Starting with a chain

Starting with an adjustable ring

Increasing in the round

I’m looking forward to referring folks to the videos in my patterns since it’s sometimes challenging to succinctly describe a new concept with just words.

Monkey See

16 thoughts on “Monkey See

• September 23, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Bookmarking (that chainless foundation especially)

• September 23, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Bookmarking (that chainless foundation especially)

• September 23, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Omg.. this is awesome..
    You are in my living room..
    Well done and oh so helpful
    Thank You!

• September 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Omg.. this is awesome..
    You are in my living room..
    Well done and oh so helpful
    Thank You!

• September 24, 2008 at 1:59 am

Well, it’s about time that I got some free Amy teaches Martha crochet! 🙂 Now the question is, “will Martha crochet?” Probably not… thanks!

• September 23, 2008 at 6:59 pm

• September 24, 2008 at 1:55 pm

cant wait to start crocheting again!

• September 24, 2008 at 6:55 am

cant wait to start crocheting again!

• September 24, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Wow, Amy! When did you have time to do this?! I’m so proud of you–what would Sitto think!

love, mom

• September 24, 2008 at 8:17 am

love, mom

• September 24, 2008 at 4:34 pm

That was really awesome! After I watched one I had to watch several others because although I know my way around a crochet hook it wasn’t until I got Doris Chan’s book Everyday Crochet that I ever heard of chainless foundation (she calls it single crochet chain- I think). I was having to put the instructions in the book in front of me every time it came up, still do. And I had seen a hat that I wanted to try and make for my daughters but was having troubles with written instructions trying to figure out the ‘X’ crochet. This visual really helped.
    Thanks, C.Kay

• September 24, 2008 at 9:34 am

Thanks, C.Kay

• September 25, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Just checked out the linked stitches clip – awesome!

• September 25, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Just checked out the linked stitches clip – awesome!

• September 27, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Great! This will be so helpful next time I try a crochet project!

• September 27, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Great! This will be so helpful next time I try a crochet project!