The September issue of Crochet Today magazine came out while I was in the midst of moving, and I didn’t get to see a copy until I was in Hawaii (I found it at Safeway!). I have a pattern for toe-up crocheted socks. Toe-up socks are my favorite method. They do have one challenge, and that is getting a roomy-enough heel so the sock is easy to put on, but the ankle still fits. These are ankle socks because they were originally meant to be in a summer issue, but they ended up in fall instead.

I crocheted two pairs of these, and numerous step-out-bits, because the socks (not me) are going to be featured on Knit and Crochet Today–the companion TV show for Crochet Today that is on PBS. It looks like my socks will be on episode #205, so once the show airs the socks will be available as a free PDF download. I’ll link to it once it’s posted.

The toe and heel are worked in single crochet. I wanted to have a lacy pattern for the ankle and foot, but a solid footbed so the socks are comfortable to walk on. I couldn’t use single crochet because the double crochet from the lace pattern would cause some distortion since it’s so much taller than a single crochet. To solve the design dilemma, I used linked double crochet stitches on the footbed and double crochet for the lace. When worked in the round, the linked dcs have a very nice, smooth fabric which is perfect for the footbed. The ankle is worked in crocheted ribbing, attached as-you-go. The socks could just as easily be made longer. I used two balls of Heart & Sole sock yarn, but had some left on the second ball. Each ball is 213 yards. Working in self-striping yarns can be quite a challenge in crochet–it’s easy to end up with odd pooling or a camouflage effect. Here by playing with the stitch pattern a bit, I was able to get the colors to cooperate.

Crocheting for your feet

10 thoughts on “Crocheting for your feet

• October 15, 2008 at 9:57 pm

I plan to make these and joined your Rav group today

• October 15, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I plan to make these and joined your Rav group today

• October 15, 2008 at 11:53 pm

They are really pretty! You did a great job on them. 🙂

• October 15, 2008 at 4:53 pm

They are really pretty! You did a great job on them. 🙂

• October 16, 2008 at 1:38 am

How cool! I’ve been keeping an eye on crocheted socks, but most of them are so goofy looking! I just checked the Knit and Crochet today website and the show isn’t on the air in my area. 🙁 I’ll have to see if I can find the magazine or wait for the PDF to become available.

• October 15, 2008 at 6:38 pm

• October 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm

I love them, and will certainly enjoy making them!!!

• October 19, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I love them, and will certainly enjoy making them!!!

• October 28, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I’ve made two pairs of these so far!!! I just loved the pattern when I saw it in the magazine. They are really easy and work up wonderfully!

• October 28, 2008 at 11:19 am