This afternoon, my book club met at my house. The book for this month was Joe Biden’s Promises to Keep. I don’t usually read autobiographies, but I enjoyed Biden’s and I liked learning more about someone who could eventually be vice-president. It was a cold and rainy Sunday, and I wanted to make a meal that was simple and warm, and used the vegetables I had from my weekly produce box. (Actually, at first I thought it might be fun to make book-themed food, but it turns out Joe Biden’s favorite meal is pasta, and his favorite dessert is oatmeal-raisin cookies, so that didn’t really fit with what I wanted to serve).

Last night, I set some dough for No Knead Bread, using a combination of white and white-whole-wheat flour. This afternoon, I took half of the dough out of the refrigerator, formed it in my baguette pans and let it re-rise. I used a bit too much dough and the baguettes overflowed their chambers a little, but they came out quite tasty.  I I found a sweet potato soup in Robin Robertson’s Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, and I had nearly all of the ingredients from my box; I only had to buy fresh ginger. I made a salad with greens, olive oil, salt and pepper and some sliced oranges and their juice. For dessert, I used some plums that I had sliced and frozen right before our trip to Hawaii, and I made a cobbler. The cobbler turned out especially well, so I thought I’d share the recipe. The topping was adapted from a recipe for Pear, Cranberry and Vanilla Crumble from Regan Daley’s In The Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker’s Companion.

Plum Cobbler

Filling

5-6 cups sliced ripe plums

1/4 c. flour

1 orange supremed and chopped

Zest of 1 orange

Topping

3/4 c. flour

3/4 c. sugar

3/4 c. margarine

3/4 c. rolled oats.

Combine filling ingredients in an 8×8 glass dish. In a medium bowl, mix flour and sugar and cut in margarine. Add oats and combine. Sprinkle topping over the filling. Bake at 350 until topping is brown and crisp.

A Book Club Meal

6 thoughts on “A Book Club Meal

• October 21, 2008 at 7:04 pm

that looks great. wish I could have had leftovers!

• October 21, 2008 at 12:04 pm

that looks great. wish I could have had leftovers!

• October 22, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Sounds like a delicious dinner. I haven’t read Biden’s book but it sounds like something to get to in the next two weeks! (Not that my vote is at all in question…)

• October 22, 2008 at 1:33 pm

• October 23, 2008 at 12:36 am

I have now tried Bittman’s Speedy No-Knead bread (whole wheat version) twice. The results, especially this time, were tasty, but the sucker just isn’t rising much. This weekend, I’m trying the white bread to see if the results are better. I think it proofs and bakes in a dutch oven, which should be fun. Are you using the original recipe for no-knead – the one that rises for, what, 20 hours? Bittman’s version rises for 4 hours, then another hour in the loaf pan. Me, being lazy city girl, goes for the quick and lazy version!

• October 22, 2008 at 5:36 pm