The Interweave Crochet Winter preview is up, and I have a simple little lace scarf pattern in there. (Does it seem like I was in a scarf rut this spring? Really it was all coincidence that I designed three in a row, I’m not usually a scarf-making person).

The idea behind this scarf was to create a pretty lace pattern that a beginner could easily make to build lace-crocheting skills–with actual laceweight yarn. In this case, a lovely lace merino from Skacel. I’m always worried that photographs show patterns the way I imagine. I was pleasantly surprised. I love how the stitch pattern shows up against the model’s red coat. I’m looking forward to making my own scarf to keep just for me. (someday, when I’m not up to my ears in teddy clothes).

This issue is particularly packed with nice giftable crochet items. It’s a shame it won’t be out in time to make Christmas gifts for this year–but you could get an early start on next year, or make gifts for other occasions. I’m enamored by Marly Bird’s Thrummed Mittens and Lisa Naskren’t butterfly shawl.

Alpine Frost Scarf Preview

32 thoughts on “Alpine Frost Scarf Preview

• December 16, 2008 at 3:20 am

How beautiful and delicate!! What a lovely pattern.

• December 15, 2008 at 8:20 pm

How beautiful and delicate!! What a lovely pattern.

• December 16, 2008 at 4:28 am

How beautiful! Can’t wait till my issue comes so I can crochet one for myself.
    I was thrilled to see two lace crochet patterns in this issue, the Dragonfly shawl is quite something else!

• December 16, 2008 at 11:44 am

This is fabulous! I love love LOVE laceweight crochet projects and I really don’t remember seeing ANY recent crochet ones other than this!

• December 16, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE it. I wish it had come out earlier–I’m working on a scarf for a friend in sedge stitch, but this would have suited the yarn better and worked up faster. Guess I’ll have to make another!

• December 16, 2008 at 9:28 am

• December 16, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I have really loved all of the scarves. This one, though is the cat’s meow. Quite stunning. and I know exactly which yarn to use.

• December 16, 2008 at 9:55 am

• December 16, 2008 at 8:41 pm

It’s beautiful! Can’t wait for my magazine to arrive! Congratulations!

• December 16, 2008 at 1:41 pm

It’s beautiful! Can’t wait for my magazine to arrive! Congratulations!

• December 17, 2008 at 12:31 am

Hey, thanks Amy. I thought your scarf was beautiful too. Looks like another wonderful issue of IC packed full of interesting projects πŸ™‚

xoxox
    marly

• December 16, 2008 at 5:31 pm

xoxox
    marly

• December 22, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Wonderful !
    The New Winter magazine arrived Today!. I will give the New pattern a Hook this eveving.. See what I come out with.. The pattern looks delightful..Thank You
    Have a Warm Holiday and a Grand New Year!
    Ta! Ta!
    Carolyn la M.
    PembrokeMaineArt.com

• December 31, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I love this scarf, but I cannot work with wool (serious allergies). I found several yarns I might substitute, but was wondering about yardage. The Skacel yarn skein contains 1375 yards, but did the scarf use the entire skein? If not, can you estimate how many yards I would need? Thanks so very much!, Susan

• January 4, 2009 at 8:14 pm

This scarf looks beautiful..Two questions: 1). Where can I purchase this yarn…2), What other washable yarn would work in this pattern?

Thanks.

Baab Mc Crary

• January 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I enjoy working with thread and was so excited to see a crochet pattern in lace weight yarn, which seems to be a well-kepted knitters’ secret. How pretty! Does the pattern really use 1300+ yards? Seems like an awful lot of yarn for the size of the piece.

• January 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm

It’s my fav. pattern in the magazine – I just need to find the right yarn for it. Does it really take 1300 yards of laceweight?

• January 20, 2009 at 12:58 am

I just finished mine. I love it. thanks for such a sweet and easy pattern.

• February 5, 2009 at 11:34 am

A sock yarn might work well–it would be heavier than the laceweight used here, but it would be pretty, and washable. Let me know what you choose!

• February 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

No–it doesn't. I'll see if I can track down the actual yardage and get back to you!

• February 25, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Hi Susan–I just found out that the original scarf only used 550 yards, so you could actually make 2 out of a skein of the merino lace.

• February 25, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Hi Rebecca–just wanted to let you know, that I was able to get the actual yardage on the finished piece finally, it's 550 yards. Hope this helps!

• February 25, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Ok–I've got it–the original Frost Scarf took 550 yards–sorry it took so long, I had to get the folks at interweave to weigh it so I could do the math. Cheers,

Amy

• March 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Thanks! I guess I'll see how far I get with my 440-yd skein. Maybe I'll drop a repeat and work it a little narrower to save some yarn to get the length.

• December 21, 2009 at 7:10 am

I wanted to make this scarf as a Christmas gift (yes, it's Dec. 21st but I can get it done if I work all day, right???? πŸ™‚ ) Is there any way to buy this pattern as a download? I planned to order a backissue of the Crochet Interweave, but it would never make it in time…..obviously!!! It's absolutely gorgeous and I want to make several. Please email me and let me know if you have any suggestions for where to get the pattern!!!!

• December 21, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Hi Mary-Interweave usually does put their patterns on their web site after a
    year, but I don't think it's been long enough for Alpine Scarf. I would
    recommend calling Interweave Crochet to ask them. Unfortunately, they own it
    outright and I can't sell it myself until the rights revert back to me in a
    few months.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Amy

• December 21, 2009 at 3:10 pm

• December 21, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Hi Mary-Interweave usually does put their patterns on their web site after a
    year, but I don't think it's been long enough for Alpine Scarf. I would
    recommend calling Interweave Crochet to ask them. Unfortunately, they own it
    outright and I can't sell it myself until the rights revert back to me in a
    few months.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Amy