Kim Werker has a great post about the comeback of big glasses à la the 1980s. Kim, I have to say I agree, and in honor of your courage in posting your glasses photos, here are mine:

IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6454.JPG

Hmm… Kim and I had almost identical glasses and bangs. We went to high school only about 90 miles apart from one another (we didn’t know each other) so that could explain the coincidence. Was this Upstate New York style, circa 1989?

Kim dresses down the hipsters

17 thoughts on “Kim dresses down the hipsters

• May 8, 2008 at 12:16 pm

My glasses were so thick that I switched to little lenses in the 4th grade just to keep my glasses from digging into my nose. But I remember how JEALOUS I was of all you who weren’t wearing “granny glasses” as we called them. (At some point, I had an old pair of 14k gold frames that had belonged to my grandfather in the 1920s.)

• May 8, 2008 at 5:16 am

• May 8, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Too funny! I remember such glasses well…you know some things (like leg warmers and shoulder pads) should just stay in the history of fashion faux pas and never come back….that being said BIG sunglasses seem to be all the rage right now.

• May 8, 2008 at 6:03 am

• May 8, 2008 at 3:45 pm

I am shamed, SHAMED, to admit the photos I posted were from… 1993 or ’94. I’ll have to find some from ’89 to see what I was wearing on my face back then; I can’t remember, but I think it was wire frames of some sort.

• May 8, 2008 at 8:45 am

• Pingback: » An Open Letter to Hipsters

• May 8, 2008 at 7:10 pm

:: big exhale ::
    I did it Amy and you helped. I can move forward now, less encumbered by the past.

• May 8, 2008 at 12:10 pm

:: big exhale ::

• May 9, 2008 at 12:16 am

Ha! You won’t catch me posting any photos, but nope, not just upstate New York. Hafta say exactly the same hairstyle and glasses same era, backwoods BC. 🙂 (Actually, I got contacts in grade 11…1988/89, but my wine colored big glasses…no nosepiece, just the one-piece frame unit with arms at the top edge of the big lense frames just like yours…were my backup. And were very coolio at the time.) And P.S. I have the rectangular frames now like everyone else. How shameful to know I’m so trendy. 🙂

• May 8, 2008 at 5:16 pm

• Pingback: » The Big-Glasses Brigade Needs YOU

• March 17, 2009 at 10:02 am

These vintage are retro glasses are really in these days. I myself like the style of gazing behind the big goggles 🙂

• April 12, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I think I like it for uniqueness and so nice to join those girl because they look like an intelligent one.

• April 12, 2009 at 9:58 pm