This pattern caught my eye this morning and I have to say, I like it. I might even wear it. Why? Maybe because it reminds me of the afghan on the back of my couch? The one my grandmother made thirty years ago? (I do wear a coat she made out of upholstery fabric that looks like I should be a wing-back chair–what can I say, I’m sentimental.) It could be, because it fits the model well, it’s drapy, not stiff, or because it’s a nice take on the popular “shrug” idea, because I like the colors and I’ve been into ripple and wavy patterns lately. But mostly, I like it because it bears a slight but undeniable resemblance to the amazing garment below:

Funny thing is, dresses that look like afghans have been on the mind of a lot of online hookers lately. The folks at What Not to Crochet (a site that’s sometimes fun and sometimes a bit mean–but always interesting–where some blogger with lots of time posts pictures of crochet she doesn’t like) actually got fooled by the Pantalaine Couch Dress. I love the Pantalaine web site. I love imagining the folks who actually take the time to put this bizarre performance art together. I love how totally psyched they must have been when the cynical folks at WNTC actually thought their stuff was real!

THIS JUST IN: Ginny just e-mailed me to let me know that Tina-Marie made the Berroco shrug for her Crochet Olympics project. Nice job, Tina-Marie!

Wear Your Afghan

8 thoughts on “Wear Your Afghan

• March 3, 2006 at 7:40 am

I think it’s the color that would remind you most of the couch dress…I like this shrug, but I would use different colors or maybe even a solid.

• March 3, 2006 at 7:45 am

Solid would be nice–but even though the colors are similar to “you know what,” I still like them… I’ve always liked fall-ish colors.

• March 3, 2006 at 10:47 am

Hmmm…that IS a striking resemblance! Nice catch! Thanks for sharing – : ) Norma from CP

• March 3, 2006 at 11:22 am

I like your comparison. The Shrug is nice, but not the colors. Thanks to Tina I will try it mys\.self

• March 3, 2006 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for the plug, Amy! I am so glad I chose a solid color, so as to narrowly avoid looking like a couch.

ps. If the couch dress improves the couch, do you wonder what the couch looks like?! (Ugh!)

• March 13, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Wow I has just found that pattern for the shrug earlier today! I’m loving it!

• April 23, 2006 at 8:19 pm

Pantalaine is in fact real, folks! There was a fashion show in LA a couple months ago.

• April 24, 2006 at 8:27 am

Crude futures–I’m so glad to know that–I would have been dissapointed to hear that they were just the work of photoshop–now, do you know if folks can really buy them? Or are they just art pieces….