Selma was home from school today recovering from a stomach bug, and by evening she was feeling better and looking for something yummy to eat that wouldn’t be to hard to digest. She requested gingerbread, and this is what I came up with after reading quite a few recipes (looking for one that used only ingredients already in my pantry). I was inspired by a Blackstrap Gingerbread on Jennifer’s awesome Recipes from the Vegan Lunchbox, and adapted it to fit our tastes and available ingredients.  Jennifer likes her gingerbread with lemon sauce. I’m more traditional and serve it with applesauce (which is also good for ailing tummies).

Gingerbread

1 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt

WET
3/4 c unsulfured molasses
1/4 c honey
1/2 c canola oil
1 c hot water (I don’t know the science behind using hot water, but so many of the gingerbread recipes I read included it, that I’m using it too)

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, stir together wet ingredients. Once oven is preheated, combine wet with dry and stir until smooth. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes or until done.

Enjoy with applesauce while still warm!

Selma’s Tummy Treat Gingerbread Recipe

10 thoughts on “Selma’s Tummy Treat Gingerbread Recipe

• May 5, 2009 at 9:10 am

Yummy! I always thought the hot water was to help the molasses blend in more easily.

• May 5, 2009 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the recipe!

Maybe the hot water helps get the molasses moving and mixing properly?

• May 5, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Because the baking soda begins to react as soon as the molasses (acidic ingredient) hits it, I am presuming that the hot water helps to dissolve both the honey and molasses which will then incorporate more evenly with the dry ingredients.

My family also serves gingerbread with lemon sauce or lemon curd, but apple sauce sounds like a fabulous alternative when I'm not in the mood to stand over a double-boiler making the sauce. Of course good old cream cheese frosting is also a nice touch!

Thanks for sharing; hope Selma feels better.

Diane

• May 5, 2009 at 8:59 pm

This makes sense! I never thought of molasses as acidic, but I guess it is!

• May 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Gingerbread is indeed very delicious,My kids just love it, I never cooked it though, my husband is the one that loves cooking it for the kids and me, I would definitely surprise him following this recipe you shared, thanks a lot foe sharing.

Debra

• June 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

How nice if this gingerbread is place in fabulous food hampers…I'm sure a delightful receiver like your children will wear their best smiles.

• July 26, 2009 at 4:55 am

Where do you live? I always use hot water with molasses because it is pretty darn near solid when it's cold (and it is cold in my kitchen 7 months out of the year) — I've even warmed it in my oven before pouring it out of the tin!

• October 3, 2009 at 4:27 am

Your blog appears quite informative. Can you please tell me how can I read your rss blog?
    regards