Yesterday I was teaching at The Net Loft when I had one of those strange convergences whereby the need for something springy to wear (brought on by a bit of rainy weather) and the urge to crochet a quick project ended hitting me right as I walked past the cubby of Noro Silk Garden. (I swear, I didn’t plan this, I even had to buy a hook as I had only brought one with me for a lace project).

Silk Garden Scarfette

I didn’t mean to scowl, but it was cold and wet, and I’m not so good at the hasty self-portrait. This was before I blocked the scarf. It’s crocheted with a point at one end beginning with just one v-stitch and increasing in each row until I had 8 v-stitches. I then worked even putting in a keyhole (basically a buttonhole made by chaining and skipping stitches) after a few rows. Then I continued to work even in v-stitches until the scarf was about 36″ long. I finished the crocheting in about 2 hours, it was a nice change from the hard to see lace-mohair that I’ve been working on.

Silk Garden Scarfette

After about 3 inches of work on the little scarfette, my friend Becca had to put down the socks she was knitting and go get her own ball of Silk Garden to make a scarf too. So now there are two of these scarves in Cordova. (It takes a wee bit more than one ball to get the length and width I wanted, but you can get two scarves easily from three balls, so Becca plans to make one in the color I used yesterday and I’ll do likewise with her color).

I washed it last night in Unicorn Fibre Wash. I knew that Noro was pretty minimally processed (there were lots of twigs to be removed while I was crocheting), but I was still suprised at the amount of actual DIRT that came out while I soaked it. It’s much softer after blocking. I hard blocked it with pins, but I’m actually planning to wet it again and re-scrunch it a bit, because I like it’s rustic, scrunched up look better.

Instant Scarfettication

13 thoughts on “Instant Scarfettication

• May 7, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Crocheting on the fly! I love it! Brilliant. (Who knew that Noro was so dirty? Shocking)

• May 7, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I love the colors–so spring-like!

• May 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm

so very cute! someday i'm going to have to splurge on this noro silk garden stuff everyone speaks of *sigh* to be able to have all the fibery goodness out there at a store near me….

• May 7, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Shocking, indeed, but I'm not sure it's a Noro thing–personally, I just think this fiber wash gets things cleaner than others… I'll have to test that theory to be sure…

• May 8, 2009 at 7:25 am

Hmmm, we have this colourway at the store…

No no, must stick to fleece washing and other projects. Must finish something, ANYTHING…

Thanks for the tip on the fibre wash. These fleeces I am working with are still going need some tender love and cleaning before I call them good.

• May 8, 2009 at 10:04 am

Unicorn has another product JUST for washing fleeces called Power Scour–I
    haven't used it myself, but friends who have sing its praises as well. Have
    fun! p.s. that was the beauty of this scarf, I DID get to finish something!
    🙂

• May 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm

v cute scarf. I've been trying to figure out what to do with my one ball of kureyon sock. this may be the one!

• June 17, 2009 at 11:51 am

Oh Amy, now I get to see the scarf you spoke of at TNNA. I love it! FYI, both Power Scour and Unicorn Fibre Wash formulations actually protect the fiber while dissipating DIRT. Also tries really hard to prevent that dissipated dirt from reattaching back on to fiber shaft itself. Whew!

• June 17, 2009 at 8:38 pm

YAY! I'm glad you found it. It was nice talking to you in Columbus.

Cheers,