I’ve now lived in 8 states. It turns out different regions of the country have different ways of describing the weather. In upstate New York, where I grew up, we were rather pessimistic about the weather. Throw a bunch of clouds up, and you’re apt to hear that it’s overcast. What in Utica, NY would be called “partly cloudy,” however, would be called “partly sunny” in Seattle. Seattlites are inherently optimistic. On a mostly cloudy day, you’ll often hear weather announcers talking about “sun breaks,” actually announcing little moments when the sun will be peaking around the clouds. Up here in Cordova, they have a different name for sun breaks. They call them “sucker holes.”

Today, after two full weeks of no sun, we had a little right in the middle of my walk to town, and sucker hole or not, it was enough to brighten my day.

Catching Up

Today was a day of catching up–my studio/office is finally set up and a nice comfortable place to work.

I spent the morning formatting some patterns that have been finished since June–so the pattern store should have an update later this week.

A while ago, when I was still buried in boxes and not blogging, I got a lovely package from Emily. Before I left Maryland, she offered to make me some socks. So we went to A Tangled Skein and I bought a skein of Neighborhood Fiber Company sock yarn (hand dyed by local DC dyer Karida) in the Logan’s Circle colorway. The other day, they came.

I love the simple garter rib pattern; it lets the hand-dye really shine, and the socks are a perfect fit. Thanks Emily!

The Language of Weather

17 thoughts on “The Language of Weather

• September 15, 2008 at 11:44 pm

In San Diego the weather is so constant that people get very sensitive to small changes – 10% humidity more, and it’s “awful humid,” 5 degrees colder is a chill. Takes some getting used to!

• September 15, 2008 at 4:44 pm

• September 16, 2008 at 10:04 am

You are all set up, the red is great. Way to go Emmy, the socks rock!

• September 16, 2008 at 3:04 am

You are all set up, the red is great. Way to go Emmy, the socks rock!

• September 16, 2008 at 12:01 pm

The studio looks great. So do the socks!

• September 16, 2008 at 5:01 am

The studio looks great. So do the socks!

• September 16, 2008 at 8:19 pm

In Denver we are so accustomed to sun that on the third day of clouds in the sky visible depressions sets in and is talked about at the grocery store, work wherever you are. People are no longer strangers but fellow travelers in this weather imposed misery.

Carole

• September 16, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Carole

• September 17, 2008 at 1:05 am

Amy, your studio/office looks very inviting. It will be a cheerful — and, I’m sure, productive — place for you to work.

With respect to the language of weather, I remember that in Santa Fe, where it’s sunny almost all the time, the weather would be described as “partly cloudy” if there was even one cloud in the sky.

• September 16, 2008 at 6:05 pm

• September 17, 2008 at 1:22 am

Amy,

One more state to go then you’ll catch up with me…but I also have a couple foreign countries. Oh, the joy of a military career! I’ll withhold comment on the VERY RED couch.

Uncle Jack

• September 16, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Amy,

Uncle Jack

• September 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm

That yarn is great! I saw that you have one of those fitness ball/desk chairs. Do you like it? I am contemplating getting one, but haven’t been able to hear many peoples comments.

Thanks!

Tanner

• September 18, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Amy, I think that you have lived in 9 states (if you include Wisconsin where we spend summers at the cottage).

love,

mom

• September 18, 2008 at 11:52 am

love,

mom

• September 19, 2008 at 12:24 am

I love how you set up your studio! It makes me want to sit down and hang out and knit.

• September 18, 2008 at 5:24 pm