I guess I still have hats on the brain. I’ve been trying to finish a lovely lace shawl, but it’s a little slow going, and I got sidetracked on Wednesday. It was James and my 14th anniversary, and I wanted to make him something even though he’s not here. I’m leading a knit-along next week on Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Maltese Fisherman’s Hat (from the Knitter’s Almanac), and I thought it would be good for me to have made one before helping others through it, so I chose to make that for James. (Shh… don’t tell!) It is a bit of a silly hat (I’m kind of a fan of silly hats), but quite warm and practical around here with the ear-flap-neck-warmer. And, everyone in town who’s seen it so far has wanted one, which either says something about the weather here or our collective taste in head-wear. Or both.

Here’s my friend Erica modeling the hat.

Maltese Fisherman's Hat (Elizabeth Zimmerman) - 6

The hat is constructed beginning with the ear-flap neck warmer piece, which is shaped with short rows. Then you cast on a few extra stitches for the front and start working in the round.

Maltese Fisherman's Hat (Elizabeth Zimmerman) - 2

Elizabeth calls her instructions pithy, and they are. Hardly line-by-line, they take up about a paragraph. I love this about EZ patterns-you still get to think a bit.

Maltese Fisherman's Hat (Elizabeth Zimmerman) - 3

I made the hat in the pattern gauge, but in the knit-along I’ll teach how to make it using any weight of yarn, figuring a new cast on, short-row details, etc.

Maltese Fisherman's Hat (Elizabeth Zimmerman) - 7

The pattern ends, “make the tassel of your dreams.” That’s about my favorite knitting instruction ever.

Make the Tassel of Your Dreams

17 thoughts on “Make the Tassel of Your Dreams

• October 8, 2009 at 9:48 pm

love love love. i made the “tassel of my dreams” on a ganomy for a friend and, well. ez is just brilliant and tassels are wonderful.

• October 10, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I want to try Ganomy next–also the tri-cornered hat looks cool.

• Pingback: Mural Painter Lee Bowerman Fine Art Historic Murals

• October 17, 2009 at 9:56 am

I love that hat and I love that instruction!

• October 27, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Where can I get the pattern for that hat? What kind of yarn did you use? It's awesome

• October 27, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Hi Dani–the pattern is The Maltese Fisherman's Hat from Elizabeth Zimmerman's book, The Knitter's Almanac. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick, and while I usually tend towards more natural fibers, the yarn worked VERY well for this particular project.

• November 10, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Greetings,

I was hoping to share an application with you that is making some news in the craft world lately. It is called Easy Stitch and it runs on the iPhone and Ipod Touch from Apple. It is the only application in the App Store that teaches how to Crochet, Knit and Embroidery. It also includes a few patterns to get you started and some very useful information about each craft.

It is being featured by Knitting Magazine and it just made the “Staff Favorites” list in the iTunes App Store.

We would love to share it with your readers if at all possible, more information can be found at http://www.easystitchapp.com or you may contact me directly.

• November 10, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Hi Dan–I would love to test out the app, but I don't have an iphone or ipod
    touch. Maybe someday! 🙂

• November 19, 2009 at 6:52 pm

is there a crochet pattern that I could make this hat?

• November 19, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Hi there Terri–not that I know of, but you might be able to follow the
    knitting pattern and just use single crochet instead of knit, and increase
    and decrease where indicated. It would be fun to try!

• December 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Hello – I want to make this hat for my husband. Do you have the information for making the hat with a different gauge of yarn? I'd love to have a few tips!

• December 12, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Hi Kelly–Are you a member of Ravelry.com? If so you can see lots of
    versions of the hat that others made in various yarns and sometimes they
    list the modifications they made. I used a bulky yarn to get EZ's gauge.
    Good luck!

• December 13, 2009 at 9:02 am

I am a member and I will go check. Thank you!

• December 13, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I am a member and I will go check. Thank you!

• June 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I just completed this hat for a child usin Lamb's Pride bulky and 10.5 needles. I have no idea how to modify the pattern for an adult 24″ head? can yuo please help me.

now that my son and husband saw the child version they want their own….
    thank so much-i love the pattern-always wanted to try an elizabeth pattern – this is my first.
    susan

• June 22, 2010 at 4:06 am

I used Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick and made the pattern as written
    and it made a nice adult size.

• June 23, 2010 at 12:40 am

Good to know. Fantastic ! Thank you.
    Happ Knitting,