No, not feet–but slippers. I’ve been playing with math so you don’t have to. Whenever you change something in knitting and crochet it involves a little math. But I’m excited because I found a WordPress plugin that will do the math for you. With this new toy I created a form that will do calculations, and you just need to enter your own measurements in order to have some custom sizing on a very simple pattern. Read on…

As I mentioned on Instagram, I’ve been knitting slippers.

Sometimes, when I’m knitting other people’s patterns, it’s restful–other times, it’s playful. This pattern, the Non-Felted Slippers by Yuko Nakamura is great! It’s clever, and simple, knit on two needles, so it’s easy for beginners. The pattern is written in just one size. Before you knit it, you don’t REALLY know what that size is because no finished measurements are given. So knitting it for the first time is a bit of a mystery. I didn’t mind the mystery, because I’d seen the slippers on Maggie’s feet, I knew they’d fit a foot near to mine, and I knew they were a quick knit, and really cute.

However, my sweetie, whom I just taught to knit this winter, wanted to make a pair for himself. His first actual not-a-rectangle project. So I also needed to adapt the pattern for larger feet. After I knit the first one, I realized it would also help to adapt it to MY feet.

I discovered that knitting at gauge (13sts/10cm), I got a slipper that was 26 cm long. This was the key missing piece of information. My foot is only 23.5 cm long. That’s not a big difference, in fact, it’s tiny for most kinds of garments, but these slippers are almost like socks. You basically want no EASE (or roominess inside) because they stretch to fit you. While I was doing all the calculations, I figured I could also add one in for gauge so you can make the slipper with any yarn, not just bulky yarn.

So, if you want to get started, first, go download the pattern, read it through to get a sense of how it works, make a 6″ stockinette swatch in the yarn and needles you want to use, then meet me back here! (Don’t forget you’ll also need 2 stitch markers).

The remainder of the pattern–the cuff and the finishing can be worked according to the pattern instructions. You might note that I made a slight change to the increases, and I adjusted the stitches between markers to be an even number. It’s because I wasn’t quite sure why one wouldn’t add a stitch on each side of the foot in that last row (12 in the pattern), and it makes the scaling a bit easier. Let me know how it goes for you. I’d love to have a tester for this calculator.

Thanks to my programmer brother John Markos for helping me tweak the calculator so that it can round to even numbers.

Instantly adjustable feet? A new slipper calculator.

33 thoughts on “Instantly adjustable feet? A new slipper calculator.

• April 29, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I am so thankful for this! Genius. I have been drooling over these slippers for some time, but was in a knitting funk… your calculator was the push I needed to get em going. I just finished my pair and they fit perfectly. About to cast on for a pair for my son, with daughter’s close behind. Will let you know how the wee ones work out!

• April 29, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Thank you! I’m glad to hear it worked out for you–please share pictures, I’d love to see your slippers. 😉

• May 25, 2016 at 12:16 am

Hi, this calculator looks great – I’ve just been gifted some yarn that I want to make into slippers for my son and a combination of the non-felted slipper pattern by Yuko Nakamura and your calculator sounds like a winning combination. One question: is there any way to print out the completed calculator? I can print everything, but was hoping to be able to print out just the completed calculator. Thanks 🙂

• May 25, 2016 at 7:21 am

Also on instep, row 3 I think you’re missing a sl1 after you’ve slipped the 2nd marker.

• August 26, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I can only get up to page 5.. Where is the calculator

• November 22, 2016 at 9:40 pm

This calculator is AMAZING, thank you for sharing!

• November 28, 2016 at 5:34 am

Will start these this week. I just discovered the pattern. Read size “medium” huh? Now this calculator will help init slippers that should fit. Thank you!

• December 15, 2016 at 6:41 am

I just tried the calculator and it worked out great. I had started doing the math and when I realized that my calculated cast-on matched your number I was confident that your instructions would get me there. The only glitch was one missing sl1 as pointed out before.

Thanks for making this project so easy!

• December 16, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Hi just thought i had better inform your calculator has stopped calculating accurately for some reason

• December 17, 2016 at 1:52 pm

do you have a calculator for crocheting slippers, and can you use your calculator on any knitted slipper pattern ?

• December 18, 2016 at 9:31 am

I must be having trouble understanding how the gauge is calculated. Is the number of stitches per cm calculated by counting the number of stitches in a row over a 10 cm section, then divide by 10? Does number of rows ovet 10cm come into play?

• January 13, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Yes, that’s correct–but it’s best to make a swatch bigger than 10cm so you can measure a 10cm section. Thanks for your comment!

• January 13, 2017 at 9:38 pm

It’s just a calculator that helps resize one specific knitting pattern. Thanks for asking!

• January 13, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Thanks, I think we’ve got it working again. 🙂

• January 13, 2017 at 9:39 pm

You’re welcome!! Thanks for your comment!

• January 13, 2017 at 9:39 pm

You’re welcome! Thanks for your comment.

• January 20, 2017 at 2:02 am

Hello Amy,

I am presently trying to knit the Nakamura slippers using. your Instant adjustable pattern. I am stuck on Row 7. How many stitches should I have left ? I started with. 32 stitches and still have 46 remaining.

Marlena Otsuka

• January 20, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Hello,
    I don’t understand Row 7 and next Row. Can you please explain.

Marlena

• February 9, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I’m sorry, but I cannot find thee calculator. Please help …..

• February 11, 2017 at 9:17 am

I think I’m being dim. Where do I put the information. I clicked on the formula but nothing happened.

• February 15, 2017 at 4:22 pm

The calculator isn’t working :(. I’ve used it to make several pairs and have one pair left… are you able to get it to work again? 🙂

• February 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Hi,
    I am so sorry maybe I am just being an idiot but I can’t see the calculator on the page?
    All I I can see is the below mine if which is clickable. I appreciate your help

Amy

“Ready? Great! Enter your gauge and foot measurements and follow along the form to find out how to adjust the pattern for any size.

[CP_CALCULATED_FIELDS id=”6″]

The remainder of the pattern–the cuff and the finishing can be worked according to the pattern instructions. You might note that I made a slight change to the increases, and I adjusted the stitches between markers to be an even number”

• February 20, 2017 at 5:24 am

I cannot find where the calculator is located. Is there a link?
    Thanks!

• February 20, 2017 at 8:17 am

Hello Amy,
    I am having trouble seeing the calculator on the webpage, I have tried on a mobile, tablet and desktop.
    Maybe I am just being stupid.
    All I can see is the below, the formula is not editable or anything.
    I would really appreciate your help.
    Amy W

[CP_CALCULATED_FIELDS id=”6″]

• February 23, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Hi Amy, It’s back online as of today. Thanks!

• February 23, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Hi Vicki–we had removed it temporarily to correct some problems, but it’s back online now. Thanks!

• February 23, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Hi Michelle–we had to remove the calculator temporarily to fix a problem, but it’s back online now. Thanks!

• February 23, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Hi Gerry–it’s back online as of today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• February 23, 2017 at 8:40 pm

We had to remove it to fix a problem, but it’s back online now!

• March 1, 2017 at 9:28 am

Can you tell me the format I should use to put in my numbers? When I put ’12 sts per cm’ the calculator will not accept that as a ‘valid number’.

• March 1, 2017 at 9:33 am

Never mind. I see my mistake. Thanks for the calculator!

• March 28, 2017 at 11:51 am

Thanks, Vikki! I’d love to see a picture of your slippers when you’re done!

• March 28, 2017 at 11:53 am

Hi Marlena–can you tell me what specifically you don’t understand? (for example–is there an abbreviation you don’t know?) Thanks so much!