change sign
Creative Commons License photo credit: rockmixer

I am not a habitual person. I’ll take medicine when I’m sick, but I’m terrible about remembering to take my vitamins. I exercise or do laundry as a way to get out of some other job (who knew procrastination could make one so productive). My workflow usually goes like this: wait until something really needs to get done, then work on it nonstop until it’s finished. I can be very focused that way.

So, instead of making New Year’s resolutions and sweeping changes, I’ve decided to try and just do a few small things every day more regularly. I’m hoping to use the Internet less. I would like to knit a little during daylight hours instead of just at night. I’d like to do something habitual with my writing to make it less project/deadline focused, but I haven’t quite decided what that is.

We’ll see how this goes. I’ll keep you posted. I can’t say I’m going to be blogging more because the way I think about blogging has changed a bit. I rely a lot more on Twitter now for little things like linking to interesting patterns, articles, etc. It’s my favorite quick publishing platform. I like to blog when I have something to say that I think is useful, fun or interesting. Not just because I haven’t posted in a while. I still love blogging and what I would like to do is talk more about technique and inspiration–the two things I find the most interesting with regard to my passions of fiber and food. I’d love to know what you think of that.

New Year, No Resolutions

6 thoughts on “New Year, No Resolutions

• January 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m trying to do something similar to you this year, particularly with using the internet less (I’m finally managing to get more done) and found 750words.com really helped making writing a habit. And I definitely think you should write about whatever you love, even if it doesn’t fit in the normal scope of your blog. I think you’d be surprised at how many people would find it interesting.

• January 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Thank you, Jo, for the encouragement. I do often feel like maybe I’m boring
    or letting readers down if I stray “off topic.” I have heard of 750 words,
    but haven’t really checked it out yet. I use Scrivner for my daily writing
    on my mac, and I couldn’t figure out why a web site would be better. I shall
    have to look deeper. Thanks for the comment!

• January 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I think blog posts about technique and inspiration would be particularly interesting, coming from a creative designer like you, Amy!

• January 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Thanks, Jeanmarie. Are there particular techniques you would like to see
    explored?

• January 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Your designs seem to fit and drape really well, so it would be cool to hear your insights on that. And I really like the way you combine lacy stitches with more solid, fabric-y panels (as in the Ribs and Mesh sweater). Hope you’re still working on Grannies!, too!

• January 6, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh yes, still working on Grannies!(!!!) We went on a bit of a hiatus last
    year when Julie took a non-yarny job and I started grad school, but we’re
    back in the thick of it now. Thanks for your thoughts… good ideas!