I’ve had a great time the last few days hanging out at my LYS, The Net Loft, and helping move yarn around. It’s inspiring to just be surrounded by yarn even if all you’re doing is taking it off of one shelf and putting it on another. The store’s owner, Dotty has brought in some new yarns with colors inspired by our surroundings and given them great names like “Salmonberry,” “Orca Inlet at Low Tide,” and “Cordova Mist.” Of course, I love them all, but I was relatively restrained (don’t you think?) and only came home with four skeins:

Local Flavor

I took this shot last night at about 9:30 p.m. So the midnight sun is pretty convenient for procrastinating photographers like me.

I have big plans for the third skein from the left, but the others are still percolating.

Don’t forget you have five more days to enter the Spud and Chloë scarf kit contest. Thanks to everyone who’s commented so far, I love hearing about your methods of choosing colors.

Local Flavor

6 thoughts on “Local Flavor

• June 26, 2009 at 4:12 am

Yay on your yarn score! I like the big guy on the left…I see a nice shawl in that one…or a shawlette.

Playing with string can be so addicting…it's kind of like chocolate…an indulgence for sure!!!

• June 26, 2009 at 6:29 am

While new yarn is exciting, I really enjoy it when you add little tidbits about Alaska — I'm sure it's like a whole different world than a lot of us know. Must be a fascinating experience to live there!

• June 29, 2009 at 5:05 am

Those are some awesome colors! I love getting seriously “local” yarns. I wish more LYS owners did that sort of thing.

• June 29, 2009 at 8:57 am

What a fun contest!! I choose my colors for crochet from yarn I love. Lately, I've been favoring the hand-dyed multi-color yarns, but for fun I combine a few rows of one pattern in the multi with a few rows of another in a solid coordinating or contrasting color. I used to be afraid of too much color, but now the more, the merrier!! Thanks for letting us have a chance to win this wonderful kit!

• June 29, 2009 at 12:05 pm