The new Twist Collective is out. I’m so excited because I’ve been sitting on this little secret since June, and I was losing the ability to keep it to myself: Twist has Crochet! When I met Twist Collective’s Kate Gilbert and Julia Farwell Clay this summer the first thing I thought was “wow.” They were getting ready to launch the first issue of their new magazine and they really had it all together with a fabulous presentation for advertisers and contributors alike. They were passionate about the new publishing model they had constructed and l was pleased when the first issue launched that it looked like they were meeting with success. Of course, when we got to talking, I immediately started asking them about crochet in Twist, and they both were interested and open to giving it a try. We talked about starting with a project that would be accessible and appealing to their mostly knitter audiance. The Elissa Hat and Scarf is made with sock yarn (wonderful squishy sock yarn from Pagewood Farm ). The stitch pattern is simple and fun to learn and easy to memorize. The pattern is being made available free until February 2009.

James grabbed this shot right before I sent the set off back in August. One of the wonderful things about working with Twist, is unlike other publications, I’ll get it back, eventually!

The whole winter issue is full of glorious patterns. I love the felted Heroine coat by Jennifer Lippman Bruno, and the collar and herringbone pattern on Stormsvale by Robin Melanson is dramatic and inspiring. The Gytha hooded pullover looks so wearable and fun to knit; and the I love the patterning of the Postwar Mittens.

I also wrote a short article for the issue, kind or an open letter to knitters who have yet to pick up the hook. (Thanks to the members of SSK for being the inspiration for my article opener!) For most of you dear blog readers, the article is preaching to the converted, but the sentiment, that you need to approach any new skill with a beginners mind and heart (watch a kid learn something new–they are ready for multiple failed attempts before eventual success) has helped me when I need to learn new things, like my recent dip into the waters of spinning.

Elissa! A New Hat and Scarf to Crochet

19 thoughts on “Elissa! A New Hat and Scarf to Crochet

• November 14, 2008 at 2:22 am

Thanks for the wonderful Elissa pattern. My daughter is an advanced beginner crocheter and I am a re-learning crocheter and both of us are looking forward to making a cute set. Thanks for the encouraging article, too.

• November 13, 2008 at 7:22 pm

• November 14, 2008 at 6:19 am

Fantastic news! Lovely design too!

• Pingback: Marnie, speak! Good girl.

• November 15, 2008 at 12:48 am

I just read an article about you in the Cordova Times. I can’t wait to get a copy of your book. The hat and scarf are really cute; you are so talented!

Sincerely,
    Your number one fan

• November 14, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Sincerely,
    Your number one fan

• November 15, 2008 at 6:03 am

Love that big smile.

• November 14, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Love that big smile.

• November 15, 2008 at 11:50 am

Wow! Very cool pattern. Thanks for turning me onto the Twist Collective. Extremely cool newsletter, and I actually like how most of the patterns are paid for. Your article was quite well written and, well, GOOD! Can’t wait to see more of your work in this very cool new source!

• November 15, 2008 at 4:50 am

• November 18, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Amy – I love the wooden hook that has your name on it on the article in Twist Collective. Can you tell me more about the hook? Especially if any like it can be purchased somewhere? 😀

Thanks!

Anna

• November 29, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for sharing, Amy! The design, as always, is beautiful!

• November 29, 2008 at 5:41 am

Thanks for sharing, Amy! The design, as always, is beautiful!

• December 4, 2008 at 12:56 am

I love the Elissa pattern – now if I only I could crochet!

• February 5, 2009 at 11:32 am

Hi Anna–I don't know where that hook came from, it's not mine–perhaps the folks at Twist Collective would know. let me know if you discover anything!

Cheers,