I got a bit of a late start today. My work continues on the teddy bear book–I’m completing a pair of swim trunks today (I hope), and earlier this morning one of my two guest designers, Robyn Chachula, mailed me her contribution. She’s posted a sneak peek on her blog. I can’t wait to see the whole thing.

I had to slow down this morning because I’d invited a couple of people over for coffee and stitching. Last night, when searching around for something to make for them (I originally had thought muffins, but wasn’t really inspired in the muffin department), I remembered that a few years ago, I adapted a coffee cake recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. This is one of those recipes that you can usually whip up on the fly because most ingredients are probably in your pantry. It’s fluffy and sweet with a nice crumb and a yummy streusel topping. The only thing I’d change is the color–I’d like it to be a darker golden brown, I might have to play around with adding something like coffee or brown sugar to make the cake a little darker.

Pecan Coffee Cake

Here’s the recipe:

Dry

1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Wet

1/2 c unsweetened soy milk
1/4 c + 1 T canola oil
1/4 c water
1 T arrowroot powder (substitute cornstarch or tapioca flour)

Topping

1/4 c brown Sugar
2 T flour
1 1/2 t cinnamon
3 T margarine
3/4 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9×9 square baking pan. Prepare topping: mix sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cream in margarine, stir in nuts. Set aside. Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk together wet ingredients. Combine wet with dry and stir until smooth. Pour into baking pan. Spread topping over batter. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until done.

Coffee Cake and Monday Catching Up

12 thoughts on “Coffee Cake and Monday Catching Up

• February 2, 2009 at 3:37 pm

How funny that you blogged about this when just days ago I posted something on FB about my love for all things coffee cake! I'll have to try this recipe out. Thanks!

• February 2, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I will take one, please thank you. It's so cold, it'll be fresh when it gets here!

• February 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Ah, synergy! Turns out I have way to much coffeecake left over from this
    morning… I'll have to eat it myself!

• February 2, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Hmm… maybe we can work out an exchange baked goods form alaska for
    hard-to-find-in-Cordova-staples like good shampoo and chocolate ;-).

• February 2, 2009 at 7:12 pm

yum yum! maybe sub brown sugar for half the sugar, and transfer 1/2 t of the cinnamon from the topping to the dry ingredients? a dash of nutmeg or hint of molasses might also be tasty.

• February 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Yeah–molasses came to mind immediately, but I don't want a molasses flavor, so I have to be careful. Maybe a hint of cocoa powder…

• February 3, 2009 at 8:06 am

Isn't this the one you named “Mom's Coffee Cake?” I like the contrast between the dark topping and the white cake. I remember we used turbinado sugar for the cake, and it may have come out not so white.

love, “Mom”

• February 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm

You're right! I remember using turbinado sugar too–that must have been
    it–but I don't have any of that here.

• February 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm

this cake was really good and so easy to make i am trying very hard to cook vegan for our cafe and get people to eat this way every once in a while just for health reasons but they seem to think that all healthy food cost so much more than a bag of chips and they just do get it but i have been here now for three years so we must be doing something right you are my inspiration to continue on both with my own knitting and cooking healthy so thanks for all you do and thank you for sharing with us

• February 18, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Hi Maire–I'm so glad you liked the coffee cake. I think that you're right
    it is hard to get people to eat heathfully just for the sake of their
    health. It's much easier to serve them delicious food that happens to be
    healthy. I used to run a vegan “convenience food” business, and many of our
    clients were not even vegetarian, but they purchased our pre-made meals
    because they didn't want to cook. I think if it's tasty, people will eat it
    and not question too much. Then, they get used to the taste of healthy food
    and its easier to introduce some more unusual things. Where is your café?
    Three years in business is a great accomplishment!

• February 18, 2009 at 9:09 pm

• February 19, 2009 at 1:07 am

Hi Maire–I'm so glad you liked the coffee cake. I think that you're right
    it is hard to get people to eat heathfully just for the sake of their
    health. It's much easier to serve them delicious food that happens to be
    healthy. I used to run a vegan “convenience food” business, and many of our
    clients were not even vegetarian, but they purchased our pre-made meals
    because they didn't want to cook. I think if it's tasty, people will eat it
    and not question too much. Then, they get used to the taste of healthy food
    and its easier to introduce some more unusual things. Where is your café?
    Three years in business is a great accomplishment!