Elizabeth Zimmerman named this hat “Ganomy” after the funny way that someone in her family pronounced “Gnome.” It does really have an elfish look to it, and if I wasn’t already a fan of the silly hat, I probably wouldn’t have been drawn to it. I’m glad I was. the mitered corners on this hat make it hug the ears and the shaping also allows for the hat to go lower in the back than in the front protecting the back of the neck.

Ganomy Hat - Front

I added the minimal bit of colorwork myself. In true EZ style, the pattern was just a simple paragraph of text, which you get to interpret as you like. I did find out after I made this that the pattern is included along with an article in the current issue of Vogue Knitting. Another bonus: When you’re flying down the slopes, the pointy part will stick straight up, looking even cooler than it does flopped to the side. (We took these pictures back before the snow that started earlier this year than it has in a while).

Ganomy Hat - Side

Today it looks like January outside, except darker since we have over a month to go before the solstice. I’m glad for the snow, though. It’s much better than rain. I have had to abandon shoes for the season and dig out my boots.

James, however, has decided to extend the cycling season by installing studded tires on his bicycle. This is how he got to work this morning.

James' Snow Tires

I’ve been a bad blogger lately. I think it has something to do with twitter and facebook I like the convenience of the little micro-posts I do there, and then I feel like I’m being redundant talking about something on the blog that I may have already linked to on Twitter. What do you think?

I’m also attempting Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) again this year, and so I get my writing quota in by making up unlikely things for my characters to do. I’m at the half-way point, and I think chances are about even for my finishing the 50,000 word challenge.

I’m in the finishing stages crocheting two lace-weight shawls that are taking me forever. Even though I love them both, I will be so happy to be done. I will then start work on some new Big Projects that up until now have been just in the mental planning stages. Expect to hear more soon.

I’m also re-starting my work as co-editor of Inside Crochet magazine. Julie Holetz and I were happy to be asked to come back for another year of issues, and we will start work in December. (We were especially excited by the preview of Issue Five, just released–you can see the preview at the KALMedia flickr site). We’ll be on the lookout soon for submissions, so if you’re interested in contributing to the magazine, you can e-mail me.

Yes, another new hat: Ganomy

13 thoughts on “Yes, another new hat: Ganomy

• November 17, 2009 at 7:58 pm

The Ganomy looks GREAT on you! I must dig out my pattern and give it a try!

• November 17, 2009 at 8:24 pm

oh. my. goodness. bryan and i were JUST talking about ganomy a few minutes ago because i knit one for a friend last year and we were going through options of hats to knit for his grandmother as a holiday gift. ganomy is the hat we settled on! i can't wait to knit it again and i LOVE the colorwork you integrated!

as a non-twitterer… i miss your blog posts. the nice thing about facebook is that you can sync up blog posts to your newsfeed, but it doesn't really work the other way around!

• November 17, 2009 at 8:55 pm

It's really fun to make, Ellen–maybe you could try it in Noro! 😉

• November 17, 2009 at 8:59 pm

You're right, Marri–I wish that there was some way to integrate Twitter and
    Facebook into the blog, so people who got my blog feed would maybe see a
    summary of tweets every so often. Then there's the problem that people often
    twitter and post on facebook the same stuff, so it all gets a bit redundant.
    I'm sure I'll keep thinking about it, but I'll try and be a better blogger,
    especially after Nanowrimo is done!

• November 18, 2009 at 4:38 am

That's is the COOLEST hat – I can't wait to attempt something like it!

• November 18, 2009 at 6:18 am

As another non-facebooker/non-twitterer, I miss your blog posts as well! I wouldn't worry about redundance, though. My guess is that you actually have three completely distinct audiences with a bit of overlap. Either way, it's nice to read a new blog post and see a great hat!

• November 18, 2009 at 9:03 am

I love the hat and the colors. I also miss your blog posts, so keep them coming. Tell J.M. about the coordination problem with Twitter, Facebook, and Blogs. Maybe he could use this idea in an interview.

• November 18, 2009 at 12:36 pm

As yet another non-F/non-T, I've been wondering if many of the crochet bloggers have migrated away. I keep reading, “those of you who follow me on Twitter….” Am I missing a lot? I enjoy your blog for both the crochet and the glimpses of Alaska, including the photos. AND I'm glad you're continuing on Inside Crochet — the patterns are getting better and better.

• November 18, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Marianne–I don't think I could give up the
    blog. I enjoy writing it too much. I just need to find a way to fit it
    efficiently back into my routine. I also feel like I've lost a little of
    what I started the blog doing–which was exploring new knitting and crochet
    techniques. I'd like to move more in that direction again as well.

• November 18, 2009 at 2:23 pm

As a reluctant Facebooker (too much private information on show) and non-twitterer (enough time-swallowing already) I enjoy your posts here and am grateful for any crumb you care to post!
    I am in awe at the amount You can cram in your day and that is an inspiration to do more in mine. 🙂
    Thanks for letting me into your life and the Alaskan life; what a contrast to my (hot and humid but in drought) hometown in Queensland.

• November 29, 2009 at 5:20 am

Aww . . . it looks great! I'm not a huge fan of EZ =–the spare details of her “patterns” kind of frustrate me. But for a hat like that, I'd be willing to deal!

• December 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm

What a fantastic smile you have!

• December 9, 2009 at 7:15 am

What a fantastic smile you have!