Most of the time I don’t mind that there’s no movie theatre here in Cordova. Going to the movies is a fun part of any trip away from town. But sometimes I just want to be part of a cultural phenomon–like today, when the new Harry Potter movie opens.

Jay Jay is currently obsessed with Harry Potter. Since he’s only five (he’ll be six on November 28th) he’s only been read the first two books in the series. I think they get a little too dark for a wee lad like him pretty quickly after Chamber of Secrets. But he insisted on being Harry for Halloween.

Harry Potter

I made the winter wizard cap with ear flaps and convinced Jay that if Harry were to come visit Alaska, he’d probably wear a hat.

Now he wants to have a Harry Potter birthday party. This leads me to wonder–how do I make a Harry Potter party fun for kids who don’t know anything about the young wizard yet? Selma and I have come up with a few fun activities (a sorting hat game, a scavenger hunt for the Sorcerer’s Stone, making wands out of chop sticks, but I’m searching for more).

Got any suggestions?

p.s. In honor of the movie opening, Craftzine has posted a round-up of Harry Potter-themed crafts and they’re featuring my Hermione Tie with a picture of Selma.

Wishing for Deathly Hallows

9 thoughts on “Wishing for Deathly Hallows

• November 20, 2010 at 2:11 am

Way way too cute Amy!

• November 20, 2010 at 4:04 am

Have them make thier own wands with long pretzels, melted chocolate and sprinkles.
    You can also do fake butter beer, with cream soda floats (vanilla ice cream).
    Have a dress up “talking picture” with a big box decorated as a frame and dress up clothes. Take photos for each kid to take home (or print later as thank you cards for gifts)

• November 20, 2010 at 5:19 am

Oh wow-these are super ideas!! I love them all. Thanks so much!

• November 20, 2010 at 5:25 am

Thanks, Christa! He’s still wearing the hat now that Halloween is over, but he made me take off the tassel!

• November 22, 2010 at 4:49 am

We did an HP party for my son many years ago. We spray-painted a huge piece of cardboard brick-red and drew on brick lines. They needed to tap this to get to Diagon Alley. There, they completed several projects that “equipped” them for school. They decorated wands made of dowels cut to about 14″, made potions kits in egg cartons that had been painted – bits of sea shells, acorns, any other interesting bits and bobs – I gave them each exotic ingredient names – don’t forget interesting stones to be bezoars and twisted cones of polymer clay to be unicorn horn. They decorated wizard hats that I had made of sparkly heavy felt. I made simple wizard “gowns” out of lightweight purple fabric and heat-n-bond that they slipped over their clothes. I don’t recall what else as it was nearly 10 years ago. Feel free to contact me if you would like more details.

• November 22, 2010 at 3:16 pm

How about a pin-the-tail/beard on a character game. Like ‘pin the tail on the donkey’ but Potter themed. For a pirate party, when my eldest was that age , we started the party with a hunt-the-party-food game. The food was hidden around the house and the kids had clues to its hiding place. Could it be a marauding map? He is a very lucky boy to have such a talented Mum!

• November 24, 2010 at 9:09 pm

much Q-ter than the other Harry Potter…